Thursday, September 16, 2010

God's creation

I was able to take a trip out West this past summer with some friends and family. While planning the trip I realized there were two things I really wanted to do. I wanted to go to the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial and I wanted to see the Grand Canyon. We loaded the car and headed out for our first stop, Oklahoma City, nearly an 18 hour drive. We were a bit exhausted by the time we arrived for the evening but I was excited that the next day we would be visiting a friends church and then going to the memorial.

I remember the bombing and the day it happened, at the time I was shocked by the event but never really put it into perspective of what it meant. While standing there looking at the reflection pool of the memorial it hit me how fragile life is. I had questions, no doubt not much different than any other person. Why would something like this happen? What were those people who were in or around the building at that time thinking and doing? How has the bombing affected their lives even years later? I wondered if some found Christ through the tragedy? Did some leave Christ after the tragedy, not understanding how a loved one could be taken so quickly. Are some still frightened to be in an office building or if they hear a large noise? We might never know the full impact on those lives that day, but I trust they all were impacted in a large way. It was very surreal to know that in the blink of an eye my own life could be over without warning. With that thought I wondered how my life here on Earth would affect those after I am gone. Did I display Christ to all I came in contact with? Would God say, "enter in thou good and faithful servant?"

After another couple days of driving we made it out to the Grand Canyon. This is the place were I experienced how huge God is and His creation. I take for granted those things that I see every day in nature and it helped me become more aware of the Earth God created for us. It truly was an awe inspiring place, where if given the time, you could have a good conversation with the Lord and feel in His presence and marvel at his master piece.

Two different experiences both of which allowed me to get closer to the Lord. We don't always see the everyday things He gives to us to marvel at because we don't take the time to look. In my busy life I take for granted those small blessings and wait on the big ones that truly impact my life.....that's my loss unfortunately because the small ones are around daily and the big ones only come sporadically.

Have you missed your small blessing today? The child who gave you a hug or smiled at you? The wind blowing, knowing you can feel it but can't see it, just like the Spirit of God. I want to thank Him for each day He gives me and be grateful for all the blessings I have great or small.


"The LORD has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes."
Psalms 118:23

No comments: