I have to admit when I think of the Christmas season the very first thing that comes to mind is not, Oh what an amazing thing to celebrate the birth of Christ. Unfortunately, it's wow I have a lot of gifts to buy and a little money to buy them with. I know it's bad that I would even admit that. Once the season starts getting into full swing I do take the time to think of why it is we celebrate Christmas.
The gifts, family time, snow, cold weather, trees, candy canes and all the programs and plays and music is enough to overwhelm someone at Christmas time. I heard recently that this is the time of the year when most suicides occur. People are sad that family doesn't come around or they don't have the money to give gifts. If we could only find our Christmas joy in what is the real purpose for Christmas. Christ coming from His home in heaven to a lowly stable to live and then die for you and me.
It seems that the latest gadget or toy is what we have reduced our Christmas joy too. I saw a news story about Atheist trying to stop people from displaying nativity scenes in public, I wonder why? How is it that a story that some people find far fetched and unbelievable has stuck around for over 2000 years. If they really believe it's just "a story", then what does it matter that people are celebrating the "story". I don't see anyone trying to ban Santa Clause or Rudolph.
It appears that in the more recent years Satan is working harder to "steal" our joy of Christmas. He's given us all the "fun" things to do that we have really forgotten the joy we should get out of the season. If you're more worried about not getting the gift you asked for or not finding that perfect gift for someone else, take a step back, spend some time with the Lord and ask Him to give you your real Christmas joy back. The material things will become less of a burden and whether you get the gift you want or give the one you wanted to give it won't matter in the least.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and New Year full of Blessings!!!!
1 comment:
This has honestly been my thoughts - "how will I pay for gifts this year?!" Thanks for the reminder of where my focus needs to be. :)
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment