Monday, January 17, 2011

"Let me tell you something!"

A few weeks ago I was out shopping at Kroger with my friend Jenny. While we were wandering around the deli department minding our own business, we noticed this man all of a sudden making a b-line straight towards us. You all know what I'm talking about when someone gets in your personal space, well he did! Not only did he get into our personal space, but he proceeded to say very matter of factly, "Let me tell you something, you girls are Pentecostal!" I very calmly said, "No sir, we are just Christians." He almost seemed offended as he said, "Well I grew up Pentecostal and you look like your Pentecostal", then he proceeded to walk away.

Over the last few weeks I've been thinking about that incident. Now don't get me wrong, I was not offended by being labeled Pentecostal. However, I don't want to be labeled by any denomination.......I'm a CHRISTian, I want to be labeled as a follower of CHRIST not a follower of a denomination. I found Christ in a non-denominational church that taught me to trust and live by God's word alone and not man's. I liked the fact that I could say I'm not a part of a denomination, I'm part of the family of Christ, living by His truth and not the opinion of man. I have found that man's truth tends to waver with the times, yet God is never changing. If I'm going to continue my walk, I must stick to following Christ and His examples and not those of man. We all have had someone in our lives who has at some point and time during their Christian walk let us down, that's why we are human, if we are looking to them to lead the way then we could be disappointed, distracted and even become disgruntled with Christianity in and of itself.

If we are all following the Philippians 2:2 scripture, "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind", we would all be defined by our Christianity and not the label given to us by the name written on the church building. Whether I attend a Bible Methodist, Bible Missionary, Pentecostal, Baptist or so on and so on church wouldn't matter, I'm following God's word and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide and lead me through His truth and word. As Christians we would have a more powerful presence in our country and around the world if we were in one accord. Imagine the amount of souls we could lead to the Kingdom of God! Something to think about, are you being led by Christ to live as an example of Christ or are you being led by the church you attend and the people you're spending time with?

No comments: