You ever had one of those days when things just aren't going well. Seems like everything you touch is definitely not turning to gold but to dust right before your eyes! The outfit you put on makes you feel fat and ugly or the shoes hurt your feet,but there's not time to change, it's like nothing goes your way. Those are the days I either want to go to bed early just to get it over with or start over to try and get it right the second time around.
I've found that those are the days God will bring the most random people around to say a kind word. On one particular day I remember walking to work and absolutely hating what I was wearing, funny thing, I had worn the outfit before and not felt that way so it just must have been the mood I had put myself in. Whilst minding my own business, out of the blue a person I rarely see in the morning walked up and stopped me. In a very cheerful voice said, "you look really nice today!" Needless to say I had to let go of my feelings about the outfit after that comment.
As you may know by now if you have been reading my blog and paying attention, I am single and have NO prospects insight. Every once in a while it might bother me but for the most part it doesn't, I know God has it all under control. However, sometimes people will make me feel bad about it, almost pity me for being single. Their words are not encouraging ones and can tend to make me feel bad about not being married. No, I'm not overjoyed by spending the holidays alone or not having someone to hang out with, but I'm also not one to let it bring me down.......it brings me down when people point it out and tell me how horrible it must be or how they just don't understand why I don't have a husband yet. Again, while thinking about this someone was talking to me and out of the clear blue sky said, "you're going to make a great wife to someone." I hope I do and it wasn't the fact that I want to be a wife, but the fact that this person recognized that I will be a good wife and not to worry about being single for now....enjoy my "singleness" while I'm in it.
All of that to say this, encouraging words can be said at anytime as well as discouraging words without us thinking about it. I don't want to be the one bringing someone down. Life gives us enough of those moments on it's own without any help. Ephesians 4:29 says, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Are you edifying your friends and family and even those you don't know. You never know when your encouraging word might turn someone's bad day into a GREAT day!
1 comment:
You are absolutely right about how powerful words are, and also about singleness being an ok thing. And, just so you know, I definitely consider you and encourager!!
Post a Comment