I recently heard on a radio broadcast that Facebook is causing more and more people to feel depressed. The thought that everyone post only those good things about their lives make others compare themselves and then question why their life isn't that good. Let's face it how many people have you taken a picture of and they said, "If that's not a good picture don't post it on Facebook!" I know I've said it myself, is it because we don't want people to see the bad side of our lives, we post those wonderful family vacation pictures but never tell of the arguments all the way down the road heading on that vacation. We post about getting engaged or getting married so everyone can know, or so we can feel better than those people who aren't in a relationship or at that level in their relationship. Whatever the reason people are only seeing a glimpse into the real us and that glimpse is only what we want them to see.
I'll be the first to admit that I try to post uplifting encouraging messages or faith based messages, not because I'm always happy or life is grand, trust me there are times I'd really like to say what I'm thinking but in life and in "Facebook Reality" I try to guard my tongue from hurting others intentionally or unintentionally (I'm not always successful at it and I admit it.)
There are things that I don't love about Facebook and it's world and we all know it's become a world of it's own and those things I'd rather give no love to at all are; that it's making it easy for people to be unfaithful and causing divorces, jealousy, discord, hate speech, arguments, immodest images (that just happen to show up because someone I'm friends with commented on or "liked" a picture of someones that their friends with), political debates (that never get resolved), and the freedom for anyone to say what they want without thinking of the way it makes them look or the consequences of others seeing it and the list could go on and on.
So is the issue really with others and what they put out there or is it within us. The Bible is says in 2 Corinthians 10:12 We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. -- Comparing ourselves is not wise, we have the life we have and if we're trusting in the Lord we have to trust that he knows what He's doing. So you may not get to travel the world or have a big house or maybe it's not His plan for you to get married. When we put our sights on what He wants for us and stop comparing ourselves with the rest of the world we can learn to be content in whatever state we're in.
In conclusion, I'm not a hater of Facebook obviously, I'm on it all the time and I post my blog to it), it has been used to connect me with people from my past that I've built great new relationships with, I am able to stay connected with those I've met around the world and I've even made new friends through Facebook connections. However, we need to keep it all in perspective, are we using our Facebook "powers" for good or for evil. Are we encouraging to others or discouraging. Are we thoughtful of others feelings of those reading our pages or do we not care. It's your page and you can do with it what you wish, but remember words and images scream loudly about who we are and how others perceive us to be.......How do you want others to see you?
Happy Labor Day and Many Blessings!!

No comments:
Post a Comment