Just a little bit about my life and Christian experience. I hope they help you draw closer to the Lord and share your experiences with others as well. God be the Glory!
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
That's not very Christian of you!
Over the last year I have had a few people question my Christianity because I choose not to do something for them. As much as I can understand their frustration in not getting their way, I don't understand the logic. Where in the Bible does it say I have to do whatever someone asks of me just because I am a Christian? According to them, if I don't do it then I'm not setting a very good example of Christianity! Or I get, I don't want to be a Christian if that's how they treat people! Or Christians are no better than anyone else, they only think of themselves. Whatever the ridicule it causes us to question our decisions and doubt ourselves. Whenever this happens I always take it to prayer to make sure I have made the right decision in saying no. Then it came to me...I am told no constantly by God. If I weren't, I would be married, drive a new car, be out of debt, and own a home. Am I to take it that God does not love me because he says no, well that's the most absurd thing ever. It's because God does loves me that he tells me no. He knows there is something else he has in store for my life. Sometimes he tells me no because I have to pay the consequence for my behavior and/or choices. Sometimes he tells me no because my will is outside of His will. Whatever the reason it makes him no less God and me no less of a Christian.
So why is it that God can tell us no as Christians and yet we are made to feel guilty for telling those in our lives no if necessary? Why is it they throw the Christianity thing in our face first thing when they don't get what they want? I'm assuming they think the guilt might then overtake us and we will change our minds. I'm not a Christian to be a yes man to everyone I come in contact with. I'm called to love everyone and to follow Jesus! Loving does not mean agreeing with everyone or giving someone what they want just because they have asked. Loving you is doing what is best for us both. A lot of times me helping is only enabling and ultimately, not helping! Unfortunately, when on the receiving end a no does not feel like love. If only they could understand that it doesn't feel good on our end either even when we know it's the right decision.
So if you're dealing with having to tell someone no and them questioning your Christianity, ask yourself this, "Will me helping them hurt them in the long run because they aren't making wise choices with their life?" Take it to God ask him for wisdom and always tell them no in love if that's what needs to be done. They're probably not going to like it initially, but hopefully one day they will thank you for it.
Matthew 5:11 "God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment