Saturday, September 28, 2013

Is it my Right to Fight?


It's been a while since I've been on here to write about anything but something I saw last evening on Facebook has prompted me to do a little scripture searching.  I'm so not political but what I am is a Christian who wants to show God's power and His love through me and my actions.

As Christians it seems that little by little other religions, cultures, and immoral behaviors are taking over the world, if not the world at least our country.  I could say I'm shocked and can't believe this would happen, in all places America!  However, given the state of our country's affairs I'm not the least bit surprised.  Honestly, I see it getting way worse before it gets any better. With that being said the question I have been pondering is, "As a Christian is it our "right" to fight for God and what we believe in?"  We all have our opinions so I didn't really want to go on what I feel I can do but what does God's word say we can do?  This is a little of what I discovered.

In the Old Testament I found a couple examples that show opposite of "fighting for rights."  In the book of Daniel we see Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego not fight for their rights, they just refused to do what King Nebuchadnezzar told them to do.  So is that fighting, they understood what the consequence would be for not bowing so they chose to stand.  By standing they ended up in the fiery furnace.  No I don't see anywhere in the story where they struggled or kicked and screamed going into the furnace.  They trusted in the Lord their God to save them from the heat or take them on to be with him.  They didn't ask others to go along with them, they didn't try to help the king see his ways were wrong, they let God do that for them.  God changed the Kings heart by bringing them out of the furnace without a burn on them. This in turn is what the King decreed, "Therefore I make a decree, That every people, nation, and language, which speak any thing amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made a dunghill: because there is no other God that can deliver after this sort." Daniel 3:29  Through their obedience to God they were saved and God was glorified!

So then I thought well maybe that was just that one instance, again I came to the same book in the Bible. Daniel, the man whom the king loved.  The man whom God loved.  Those that hated him conspired against him. First, they had the king of the land take away his "right" to pray.  The "right" was removed yet Daniel didn't throw a fit, bash the king or even those who started the fight.  Instead, Daniel chose not to follow the law and pray!  Did Daniel understand the consequence for his actions? Absolutely, according to Daniel 6:7 "All the presidents of the kingdom, the governors, and the princes, the counsellors, and the captains, have consulted together to establish a royal statute, and to make a firm decree, that whosoever shall ask a petition of any God or man for thirty days, save of thee, O king, he shall be cast into the den of lions." (KJV)  Daniel being in the position he was in would be well aware of his consequence.  Yet Daniel continued to pray, not fight, not argue, just pray!  God listened to Daniel's prayers and when he was thrown into the den of lions God spared Daniel's life.  Again see the results, "I make a decree, That in every dominion of my kingdom men tremble and fear before the God of Daniel: for he is the living God, and stedfast for ever, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed, and his dominion shall be even unto the end." Daniel 6:26

So some may say, well that was Old Testament times and God doesn't do things like that anymore.  I would have to differ with that opinion, but again it's not about my opinion.  What does God's word say in the New Testament about us fighting for our rights?

"For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people." Hebrews 10:30

When Jesus was being taken from the garden to be placed on trial Peter tried to protect him with his sword, it was his "right" to do so, right! "And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. 52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." Matthew 26:51-52

Paul and Silas showed us how to be examples of  Christ.  " And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. 26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed. 27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled. 28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here. 29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?  31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:25-31 

They were thrown into prison for preaching the gospel, which should have been their "right." Their chains were loosed and they didn't kill the guard, they didn't even chain the guard up, he won the guard to Christ!  

If we are to be the example of Christ because He has already fought for us. Salvation is through him, no man on this Earth can save us from the destruction that comes from men, only Christ!  So if we see our rights slowly taken away and given over to immorality and wickedness should we be surprised or even shocked, no!...It has been happening since the Earth began.

So it appears what we should be doing is continuing to live for Christ as if nothing has been taken away, no laws given to me by the government that go against God's laws should matter, we continue following the head lawmaker, the One whom created the man or men who think they are in charge!  We don't change how we share the gospel, we do it in love!  We may be thrown into a fire, a lion's den or killed by the sword, but then again, isn't that our right as Christians!

So am I saying sit by and smile and just say, "Oh well, it's to be expected?" Absolutely not! In my opinion, as Christians we must stay united, because a house divided will surely fall.  When we see a fellow Christian bother have an injustice done to them we peacefully pursue justice, such as Chick-fil-a's Appreciation Day last year or shopping at Hobby Lobby to support their fight against laws that go against God's laws.   We can also write our Congressmen or women and in a Biblical way let them know that we don't agree with allowing laws to come on the books.  We can most of all pray!!!! Pray to the God who controls all things and all situations, as a united group of Christ followers. 

Supporting what is RIGHT, GOOD AND MORAL with our funds, time and prayer and let God deal with change the way He sees fit.




No comments: