Thursday, March 10, 2011

What gifts??

Someone once asked me if I could sing? My reply, "Everyone can sing, just some sound a whole lot better than others." Making a joyful noise unto the Lord does not necessarily mean it's going to be a joyful noise to us on Earth! All joking aside, I do sing, but I also am aware that it's not a true "gift" the Lord has given me. I like to sing and enjoy singing in the church choir, but by far I'm not even close to excelling at it. That's not the point though, I do it because I love the Lord and it's a way for me to worship Him. If it hurts the ears of the people around me, well my apologies.

When thinking about our gifts the Lord has given us, unfortunately, most people equate it to some type of musical talent and so if you don't have musical ability you might feel you don't have any true gifts. Well I'm hear to say that's absolutely not true. God blesses us all with gifts and talents. 1 Corinthians 12:1-10 speaks about the gifts God gives us: Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues

God blesses us each with spiritual gifts, sometimes it's difficult for us to figure out what ours are. If your unsure what you think yours is ask a close Christian friend who knows you well. There are also other gifts or maybe better explained, "skills" that we all have as well. For example, I'm a very organized person, one of those, there's a place for everything and everything in its place type of people. This can drive some people crazy, but for me my organizational skills helps me to get more accomplished throughout my day. I like to be able to know at the end of the day everything I had planned on completing was completed.

We need to learn to use our spiritual gifts along with our talents and skills to further God's kingdom. Maybe your church doesn't have anyone to write to people who have missed a few Sundays and you enjoy writing letters and sending cards. Maybe they need help in the nursery and you just love babies, or they need someone to help with a children's choir and you enjoy being around children and singing. Sometimes there aren't things within your church, but you can go outside the church and use what you have that way. Either by mentoring a child, visiting a nursing home or shut ins, or writing a blog to tell others about your experience with the Lord:)

God will open doors for you to use your gifts, talents and skills if you'll just pray and ask Him for guidance. He has made us all uniquely individual so we can all do something. Don't be like the man in Jesus' parable in Matthew who hid his talent out of fear, step out in faith and use those things God has blessed you with!

No comments: