Have you ever had a time in your life, weeks, months or even years when you look back and can say, "Wow not much happened then." That would be how I would describe 2005 for my life. That's not necessarily a bad thing because it gave me time to get more comfortable in my skin being a Christian and draw closer to Christ. Hind sight truly is 20/20.
There were two things I specifically remember about 2005, first we got another foster child into our home. His name was Jairus and the most adorable bi-racial 15 month old in the world. He just lit our house up. We all fell in love with him immediately. I was really blessed also because I had a job and boss who appreciated the fact that we were foster parents and NEVER complained if I needed to take him somewhere and needed time off. Jairus was truly a blessing and my hopes were to get to adopt him as well. We got to know his biological family that year and became very close to them, trying to help his mom and grandmother when we could. This was a good thing for our home, it made us feel complete as a family unit.
Secondly, I remember God dealing with me on more personal convictions this year. Now before I go into this I want you to understand, I'm telling this not to try and change you but to show you how God changed me, that's why they are "my convictions". You'll probably think I'm absolutely silly with some of them and I'm not even going to tell them all, but this was my way of knowing God was speaking to me and I was on the right track with Him. Like I said in an earlier post too many times we say, "God hasn't spoken to me", but it's really we aren't listening closely enough. His word says, "Be still, and know that I am God". Psalm 46:10.
In today's world we have a difficult time turning off the TV, cell phone, computer or sitting aside the laundry, dishes, cooking and any other thing we have going on to just sit and meditate on God's word. I made sure to do this in 2005, so I started reading my Bible and my goal was to read it in a year, which I did and painstakingly during some of the Old Testament "begats". Through reading and praying I did hear God guide my life and sometimes He would ask me to give something up, like jewelry. Trust me, I wanted to make sure I was hearing God, so I searched the scriptures and found in I Timothy 2:9 this scripture, "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." That was enough for me to take it off.
Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I also have to find something out for myself, I don't trust everything I hear behind a pulpit, and I'm surely not changing who I am or what I'm doing without doing my own research and praying about it first. I've been told, what we give up for man we will eventually take back, what we give up for God will be difficult to take back. So before you ask in your head, well her church must have required it, they didn't and it was never preached behind the pulpit. There is also nothing legalistic about what I did. I allowed God to be number one in my life and with that, whatever was pleasing to Him, was what I wanted to do. I gave up certain TV shows, movies,music, make-up (that was a really hard one, I cried for days!)and clothes along the way during this year, but looking back I know why I had too. In future post you'll understand why I needed to be as close to God as I could get.
Again, I'm not trying to be a theologian, but you also need to understand who I am as a person to understand why I made the choices I have made over the years. Otherwise, in later post you'll really think I went over the edge, but have faith I am the most sane person in the world. The thing is, I BELIEVE THE BIBLE, I can not say it any louder. I also fear God, not in a fist in the air waiting to hit me if I mess up fear, but a reverence fear that He is God almighty, creator of the universe. I'll also never tell anyone, I'm going to Heaven because I don't wear make up, that would just be silly. I'm going to Heaven because I have been obedient and want what God wants in my life more than what I want. I also make it my daily task to make myself pleasing to Him, just like Job did......trust me I fail miserably sometimes. But the good news is, He is ALWAYS willing to forgive me if I just ask.
Now for you doubters out there that think God doesn't ask much of us in these days, go read the story of the rich man in Mark chapter 10. It's not about sacrifice it's about our obedience and willingness to love him above all else. He will let us get as close to Him as we wish too, the good thing is He won't drag us along kicking and screaming.
If you already have a relationship with him, you only need to stop and listen to what He is saying.....test Him if you're unsure it's Him speaking. Trust me He will let you know, He wants you to be led into all truth, His truth, not man's. If you don't have a relationship with Him, what are you waiting for, we are never promised tomorrow and He's just waiting for you to invite Him in.
Blessings!
2 comments:
Thank you again Monica for sharing! God is using you in mighty ways! :)
Thank you for sharing...and keep blogging! You never know when seeds are being sown...and I know that you have so much to offer! Ironic...b/c today in church, the Pastor was talking about people coming into your life and that sometimes they will continue the Christian walk with you along the way. Exactly why Accredited came into my path...I will always cherish and be thankful for our friendship! Love you. Em
Post a Comment