Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Please wake me from this nightmare!

2006 started off great, however, if you recall the statement my aunt had said to me the day I totally surrendered to Christ, "Now your trials will come." It had been well over a year and a half and life was going pretty well. Then in March 2006 while I was in Israel my husband called me and told me that his company was on lock out.....he was out of a job. Honestly, this really didn't stress me out because he was very good with his money and I knew he would get unemployment so I didn't much worry about it. I also figured they'd be back to work in just a few months. He never really seemed to allow it to bother him either. He just had some free time he was not use to, so he spent more time riding his motorcycle, playing golf or helping get the children where they needed to be, along with teaching Montessa how to drive. So he kept pretty busy.

Then it happened, a day that is truly embedded into my brain and no matter how much I try I can't forget the very tiny details of the day and weeks before. It was Wednesday, June 21st I pulled into the driveway and was immediately annoyed, the garage door would not open. This was however not completely unusual as we had been having some issues with it over the months. I parked in the drive way and walked in to the house, I said to myself, "wait something strange is going on here." "What is that noise, that smell, where is Jeff and the baby?" I searched the house to no avail. I even tried to go into the garage but the door was locked and I couldn't get in. I called Jeff's mom and asked her if she had seen him, she told me, no. I explained to her that the Carbon Monoxide detector was going off and there was a horrible smell in the house. She told me to get off the phone and call 911, so that's what I did.

While I was on the phone with the 911 operator I realized I had a key to the side garage door, so I opened it. Hmmm, I thought to myself, "this is strange, Jeff's truck is here and running, but he's not in it." I quickly turned it off, the entire time the 911 operator screaming at me literally to get out of the garage and help was on the way. Still confused I turned to leave the garage and that's when it hit me, my whole life just stopped.....like time stopped. I saw Jeff laying on the ground on the other side of the truck. I had no way to get too him, the motorcycle was blocking my path. Within just a few seconds of me realizing this the fire department pulled up. I walked to the front of the house and they climbed over the truck and opened the garage door manually. I knew before they said it, he was gone.

My next several post are going to be difficult for me to write. Not just because of the events of the next year, but because of all the people that were affected. Jeff's death was the biggest loss I had experienced since my father died in 1998 and even that wasn't as difficult because it was expected due to his cancer. This was so unexpected and out of character for who Jeff was and the life he lived and done by his own choice. He gave no warning and no explanation, so many unanswered questions for me and his family.

When you think times can't get any worse, they can.....but grateful am I for the verse that kept me through it all. "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9.

He can help you as well through those difficult times, knowing His strength is truly all we need to make it.

No comments: