Sunday, August 15, 2010

God's healing power

We all have a purpose in this life and sometimes it's a little difficult to figure out what it is. While in Belize I was really trying to figure that out. The funny thing is we don't see ourselves as others see us. One of the things I grab a hold of early on in my Christian walk was the faith that God still wants to heal us. Whether from heartache or physical pain.

I had read some older books about true stories of God healing people of physical illness. One that I would suggest is "Healing Divine", it's about 100 years old, however the stories people tell are truly powerful. I also did a lot of studying on the topic in the Bible. So my belief in healing grew. Over the first couple years of my Christian walk whenever I would get sick, (which wasn't often), I would have the church pray over me and God would heal me. Now that being said, I didn't usually ask for prayer unless it was something that I would have gone to the doctor for.

The evening before I left for Belize I broke my toe. My mom tried to wrap it and the pain was so unbearable when she touched it I screamed. I know that there is not much a doctor or hospital could do for a broken toe. All I could keep thinking was how was I going to travel all that distance the next day with a broken toe. Later that evening while I was lying in bed it hit me, have Aunt Carol pray over it. So I called for her and asked her to pray over my toe. She laughed and said, "I was wondering how long it was going to take you to ask." The next morning I woke up with no pain or swelling in my foot, I was completely healed.

On another occasion while in Belize, I was woken up at 2 a.m. with the worst pain ever in my side. I had never felt that type of pain and didn't know what it was. I was crying horribly and no matter how I laid, it would not go away. I didn't want to wake Aunt Carol up because it was so late, I really feel like the Lord spoke to me and told me to wake her up to pray. I argued back and forth with Him in my head because I thought it was too late to wake her. Finally, I could not take the pain anymore, I grabbed my little bottle of oil I had purchased in Israel and went in and woke her up. Through my sobs I told her what was happening and asked her to pray for me. She anointed me, half asleep and prayed, then I went back to my bedroom. I feel asleep immediately, the next morning I woke up with no pain. She said she had laid there listening for me because I had been crying so badly, but never heard me after I went back to my bedroom. A few years later that same pain returned and this time I recognized it, I had a kidney stone. God took complete care of me in that situation as well.

The reason I give you my life examples is because while in Belize God used our belief in healing to teach others. Really He used Aunt Carol, she has a much stronger faith than I do when it comes to God's power to heal. Sister Wade, the wife of the principal had been dealing with cancer for a few years. She was only able to work for a couple hours without needing rest. She was only in her forties. She was on a regimen of natural medications and diet which eased some of her pain, but still did not take care of the cancer. She had also had surgery at one time that didn't cure it. Aunt Carol did a lot of things in Belize, but the real reason God sent her was to teach Sister and Brother Wade about the power of healing. Sister Wade was anointed by the church and prayed for and she was healed! Her children to this day have written letters of how God healed their mother and how well she is doing, she is even working in the school now. Junior their youngest said,"if we came to Belize for no other reason it was for his mother to be healed."

I understand that it's not easy to believe God still heals today, but there are too many people who truly experience His healing power and not enough talking about it. It's not what we believe in our head. Lets face it, God can do anything, but it's what we believe in our hearts, "will He heal me!" That's what we have to believe, that He will heal. Don't take my word for it or even the stories I've told, test God. If you have a relationship with Him, He will show you what He can do. Just believe in your heart that what His word says is true. In James 5:13-15 God's word says this about what we have to do to be healed. "Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

No comments: