Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Learning how to pray

It's a difficult thing when a relationship ends, whether it be a spouse, friend, family member, co-workers, whatever the case it's never easy just to walk away from people and forget them. My first year at GBS God was trying to show me that I needed to put all my trust in Him. If I needed something financially, I needed to take it to Him. If I needed a friend, I needed to let Him know. When Montessa and I weren't seeing eye to eye, I had to leave the problem with Him.

This is a very difficult lesson to learn, especially for me. I'm a very controlling person. I like to have complete control of situations, my motto, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." Well I'll be the first to admit, that's not a good motto. At some point we will always need someone, we were placed here to help each other and God uses people to answer prayers. However, I believe there are times in our lives when God wants us to F.R.O.G. (Fully Rely On God)!

Over the months I would come to Him with issues or problems, like Lord, how am I gonna afford Christmas or my car insurance is due and I don't have the money. Lord I really want Montessa biological mother to get saved, she needs to know what it's like to serve you. Whatever my issue for the moment I was forced to take it to God. I shouldn't be surprised, but He came through every time.

I was thinking the other day about those times and my times as a Christian. All the prayers God has answered. I was talking to a friend and told him, "Every thing I have ever truly prayed for and needed, God has provided, honestly all my wants as well." He couldn't believe it, but it's true. I have had to trust Him in every aspect in my life.....financially, emotionally, physically, spiritually, and a lot of times even when I was lonely and I felt nobody else in the world cared. Now don't go getting all sad for me, I don't feel that way often and when I do I have learned to take it Jesus. He is the one person I can always go to, even when no physical human being is around.

This has helped me over the years to truly and honestly take the scripture, "Pray without ceasing",1 Thessalonians 5:17, to heart. I tell my students I pray all day, I'm constantly talking to God, even when they wouldn't suspect it. I believe that's what He wants from us, even before telling a friend about our problem, He wants us to tell Him.

It's not an easy thing to learn to pray, I remember growing up and even into my adulthood I used to pray the, "Now I lay me down to sleep, prayer", you know it. Throughout my last few years as a Christian I have really started learning how to pray, I believe God is honoring my prayers because when I pray about it I believe He will take care of it because He has never failed me!

Are you trusting Him for all of your needs, or are you trying to control the situation before handing it off to Him to have to fix what you messed up? If it's given to Him first it will always be done the right way, the first time, God doesn't make mistakes!

1 comment:

Alanna said...

thank you monica for this. prayer is the only way we'll make it - when we are in constant communication with Him.